Prescription sunglasses combine the functionality of vision correction with the stylish protection of sunglasses. If you’re someone who requires corrective eyewear, you might have wondered about the options available for enjoying the outdoors without compromising your vision.
In this article, we will cover everything you need to know about prescription sunglasses, from their cost and benefits to choosing the right pair and wearing them with glasses.
How Much Are Prescription Sunglasses?
The cost of prescription sunglasses can vary depending on various factors such as the brand, lens type, frame material, and additional features. A survey on CostHelper found that prescription sunglasses can cost as little as $20 and as much as $700. The true average is somewhere between $150 and $500.
However, it’s important to keep in mind that the price might be influenced by your prescription requirements. Higher prescription strengths or the need for specialized lens coatings could increase the overall cost.
How much are the lenses?
The cost of prescription sunglasses can vary depending on a number of factors, including the tint, lens material, UV protection, and lens treatments.
- Tint: The color of the sunglasses tint can have an impact on the price. Yellow and orange tints are typically better at blocking blue light, which can be beneficial for people who are sensitive to light or who want to reduce eye strain.
- Lens material: The type of lens material can also affect the price. Polarized lenses, for example, are more expensive than non-polarized lenses because they offer better glare reduction.
- UV protection: All prescription sunglasses should have 100% UV protection, but some lenses offer additional protection against harmful UV rays. This can add to the cost of the sunglasses.
- Lens treatments: Lens treatments such as scratch-resistance and anti-glare can also add to the cost of prescription sunglasses. However, these treatments can help to extend the life of your sunglasses and make them more comfortable to wear.
How to Choose Sunglasses:
When selecting prescription sunglasses, consider the following factors:
- UV Protection: Ensure that the sunglasses offer 100% UV protection to shield your eyes from harmful UV rays.
- Lens Material: Opt for high-quality materials like polycarbonate or Trivex for durability and impact resistance.
- Lens Color and Tint: Different lens colors and tints can enhance contrast, reduce glare, and provide specific benefits for different activities and lighting conditions.
- Frame Style: Choose a frame that suits your face shape, personal style, and comfort preferences.
How to Get Prescription Sunglasses:
To get prescription sunglasses, follow these steps:
- Schedule an Eye Exam: Visit an optometrist or ophthalmologist for a comprehensive eye exam to determine your prescription.
- Obtain a Prescription: Your eye care professional will provide you with a prescription that includes your lens power and any additional requirements.
- Choose a Provider: Visit an eyewear retailer or an online store that offers prescription sunglasses.
- Provide Prescription Details: Provide your prescription details, including your pupillary distance (PD), to ensure accurate lens alignment.
- Select Frames and Lenses: Browse through the available options and choose a frame style that suits you. Then, select the lens type, lens material, lens color, and any additional coatings or features you desire.
- Order and Verify: Place your order and review all the details to ensure accuracy before finalizing the purchase.
Are Prescription Sunglasses Worth It?
Prescription sunglasses offer several advantages. They provide clear vision while protecting your eyes from harmful UV rays, reducing glare, and enhancing visual comfort.
Whether you enjoy outdoor activities, spend time driving, or simply want to protect your eyes from the sun, prescription sunglasses can be a worthwhile investment.
Wearing Sunglasses with Glasses:
If you wear glasses and want to wear sunglasses, you have a few options:
- Prescription Sunglasses: Invest in a pair of prescription sunglasses with your corrective lens prescription.
- Clip-On Sunglasses: Consider clip-on sunglasses that attach to your existing glasses, providing the convenience of sunglasses without needing a separate pair.
- Fit-Over Sunglasses: Fit-over sunglasses are designed to be worn over your regular glasses, providing sun protection without compromising your vision.
Can’t Find Your Perfect Pair of Prescription Sunglasses?
Looking for a new pair of prescription sunglasses but don’t want to leave the comfort of your own home? Look no further than Seek Optics! We offer a wide variety of prescription sunglasses from top brands, and our easy-to-use online builder makes it simple to customize your perfect pair.
Try our amazing return warranties, products are guaranteed for 1 year against defects in materials and workmanship. You may return new, unopened Seek Optics products within 60 days of delivery for a full refund.
We’ll cover return shipping for any reason, and we’ll even pay for it if the return is a result of our error (you received an incorrect or defective item, etc.).